Saturday, October 13, 2012

Day 7- Guangzhou, China

Whooooweee!  What a difference a day makes!  We got Liam's passport yesterday and headed straight over to the airport to hop a plane to Guangzhou.
Look at me! I have my own passport!

Then we met our new guide, Simon, who brought us over to the China Hotel by Marriott.  
 
The angels were singing the hallelujah chorus the moment we set foot in that hotel.
 
Adoptive American families everywhere.  People speaking ENGLISH!  Restaurants that actually serve food we like to eat. Parks!  Playgrounds! Stores!  Real coffee! Air conditioning!  I don't think I've ever breathed a sigh of relief like I did at that moment.
 
Then, another miracle....Liam fell asleep without screaming.  A quiet, restful night.  Ahhhhh....
 
This morning we all woke up, had a wonderful American breakfast with other families, and met our guide to take Liam to his medical appointment.   The ENT doctor said his ears are looking just fine, so I guess the meds are working which thrills me.  He's 28 pounds, and we've come to the conclusion that he's in about a size 12 month pants and 18 month shirt (keep in mind...he's 3 years old!) We were in and out in no time, and he did well with the exception of the TB skin test, which nobody really likes.
Then it was back to the hotel for the dreaded nap time.   I ran downstairs with the guide to complete some paperwork while Joe stayed upstairs to get a VERY cranky boy to lay down.  I was expecting to come back to the room with a little terror wailing his head off.  To my surprise, I returned to silence.  Joe and the girls had turned off all of the lights, sang "Amazing Grace" to him, and POOF!  He was out!   I have a feeling I'm gonna be doing a lot of singing from here on out.  Thing is, it actually relaxes ME, as well!  Funny how God works all that out.  
 
The girls just left to go for a swim in the pool with Daddy while I stay here and catch up on emails etc. while it's nice and quiet. Oh, and we taught him another new thing yesterday:  how to give kisses.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! Glad to hear/read you are at a more modern and bi-lingual area of China. Hope the next few days are good and the flight home is safe and sound. no worries about the little guy; I have 2 ladies that love to challenge mommy to find clothes that fit them. Abigail is about 15 1/2 pounds now. Liam will come home to the states and his mommy will be sure to feed him some wonderful food and he will catch up in no time!

    ReplyDelete