Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Day 4 - He's officially OURS!

Yesterday was quite possibly was the longest day of my life .  Up 18 hours straight, with 2 vans trips, 2 train rides, 1 taxi adventure and a kid who absolutely refuses to sleep.    Wheeee!!

 
First thing after breakfast we headed to the Civil Affairs office to finalize the adoption.   So, here we are!  Standing with the officials holding the famous "Red Book" that makes him completely OURS!  
The Civil Affairs Office with our official Adoption Certificate


Liam came to us with a very, VERY bad ear infection and upper respiratory infection.  We started him on antibiotics given by our family physician right away.  However, our guide was instisting that he needed medical attention.  So, afterward, we went to some hole-in-the-wall "doctors office" to get Liam some ear drops.   I may have nightmares for the rest of my life.  The place looked like Hannibal Lecter's prison cell.   We got the ear drops, took off to the notary's office, got some stuff signed, finally got some American food for lunch (praise the Lord for McDonalds!) and headed off to the train station.    We took the slower train (about 2.5 hours) to Liam's birth city to apply for his passport.
 
On the train, he slept about 3 minutes.  Seriously.  Just 3 minutes.  But we discovered that he likes to sleep with 2 fingers in his mouth. 
 
About half of a box of goldfish crackers later, we finally made it to Xinyang City.
In his home city on Daddy's shoulders!

 
Then it we made a mad dash to one of the government offices to apply for his passport. While we were there, we were focus of entertainment.  Older women from all over the room came flocking to look at us, touch us, and ask us 100 questions.    I know that many of our friends have warned us about this, but nothing really could have prepared me for that volume of weirdness.  After a while, the slap-happy giggles returned and I just started taking pictures of them googling over Audrey. 
 
The paparrazi
It was just around the corner that we had no other choice but to experience our first "squatty potty".  I think poor Maddie will be scarred for life.    But that's another topic for another day.    Have  I mentioned how much I miss home?
 
After the passport ordeal, we went to see Liam's finding place.  Apparently, about 11 days after his estimated birth, his birth mom left him at the gates of the city hospital.   Holding my new son in my arms looking at the place,  I was a sobbing mess.   I can't imagine what his birth mom felt the day she chose to say good-bye to him.   I can only think how she left part of her heart there forever.
The Finding Place
Dinner time!   We had the choice of KFC or a local noodle joint.  Of course, it wouldn't be a true adventure unless we ate like the locals.     So, you know the movie Kung Foo Panda where Poe makes his own noodles?  Yup, that's the sort of place we went.    No forks, only chopsticks, and a big bowl of noodles.  The entire restaurant staff desperately tried to help the crazy Americans eat.  My side hurt from laughing as hard as I did!   I just know for a fact that the videos they were taking of  us are on You Tube somewhere. 
 
Finally we headed back to the super fast train station for the 1.5 hour ride back to where our hotel is.  We got to ride the brand new bullet train that just opened last week!  Super cool!  
The new Express Train!
 I'm amazed at how the kids (all 3 of them) are doing on this trip.   I'm even more shocked at how Liam literally slept less than 5 minutes the entire day, probably doesn't feel that great with his infections, yet he kept a ready smile on his face most of the entire day.  So far, he's bonding beautifully chosing Mama and Baba over anyone else.   I'm sort of waiting for the "honeymoon" to be over, but for now, I'm enjoying his giggles and magnetic personality as we treasure these first few days with memories that will last a lifetime!

My 3 beautiful kiddos!

5 comments:

  1. Poor Liam! Hopefully he will sleep once the antibiotics kick in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you all! He is down right adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know whether to laugh or cry after reading this. It sounds like you don't either. And good choice on the noodles. They look yummy. If you see a Da Niang Dumpling get the fried pork dumplings. The guide can write it down for you. Yum. And I agree about mcds. It is great comfort food in a stressful situation. That's what I ate after going to Kate and jacks finding spots. So emotional. Big hugs girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! All I can keep saying is "wow!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading about your 2 days I can't imagine the memories you all are making with your girls and sharing the history of their little brother with them. Remember this journey is an adventure and even though it is "odd" you all are getting an experience of a lifetime and the comforts of home are only a few days away! Plus you should get a laugh out of the dinner choice - it is like you were living out a scene from the movie "the Christmas story" - you know the end after the dogs ate the turkey and they had to go to the Chinese restaurant. :)

    ReplyDelete