Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Un-Update

UPDATE:    We are adopting a blind 12-year-old Ethiopian girl!

Just kidding.  However, as far as medical updates go, that's about as confused as we are.

Many of you have asked if we have an update from Nate's medical appointment.  We just got word this morning so it's all pretty fresh, but to be honest, I was am pretty hesitant to share details about the drama we've been through for fear of judgement or comments from the peanut gallery.   However, at this point in our journey, I feel like if you're sitting here reading this blog, perhaps you may actually be one of those rare friends or family members that truly care and will support us no matter which way the Lord leads.   So, here goes:

On his file, one of the diagnosis was "retard mental development".  Yes, those words exactly.   So, we inquired on exactly what that meant, as a lot can be lost in translation.   When asking about that, we got an email that DID NOT address any of our questions, rather, it said he was DEAF.  What???!!   Are you kidding me?  Where did that come from?  Ok...deep breath.     Then, our agency "found" an update that they never saw.   However, at one point, the name of the child on the update was COMPLETELY different from our child.  Ummm....hello??    So, after another email or two, the orphanage decides to take Nate to the doctor to get his hearing checked.   They called this morning to give us an update.   NONE of our questions were answered about his delays, hearing, etc. however, he's been diagnosed with autism.    Autism.  Are you freakin' kidding me?!?    Where on earth did that come from? 

Ok, by show of hands, does anyone else see a problem with this???   Only the weatherman can be this wishy-washy and not lose his job.

Fact:  you cannot accurately diagnose autism in just one simple doctor's visit.  Truth be told, if you look at a medical checklist, many institutionalized children initially have the symptoms of autism as a mere product of their environment.  How on earth do these people come up with a diagnosis like that on a whim?  And what about all of our other important questions?    Instead of crying all day like I normally would, I spent most of the day cracking jokes about the entire situation.   Quite honestly, I don't have the energy to flip out about it anymore.  There is nothing I can do about it.

Sometimes, it takes us to lose all control of a situation to finally give it all over to The One who does.  I've have no control.  Not like I ever really had any in the first place.  

So, I'm not holding my breath.   I doubt we'll get some *real* answers until we get him home.  There will be good surprises and not-so-good surprises.  I can't tell you how many times experienced friends have told us how often they completely misdiagnose these kiddos.    In a nutshell,  we will prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.

Good news is that we have a Log In Date (LID)!!   Wahooo!   That means our dossier has been entered into their system and we wait for our  Letter of Approval (LOA) from China.   On average, that's running about 72 days.  Guess what is exactly 72 days from our log in date?     Nate's 4th birthday.  Coincidence?  Ummm, I think not.

To celebrate our LID, the girls bought Nate their very first gift.    Since he's got an unrepaired cleft palate , I've heard he will be in need of several of these.  In the midst of confusion, frustration, and anger, this has truly been the fun part!


I can't wait to see what God has in store for this little guy!   





4 comments:

  1. You all can deal whatever cards you are dealt with. I see kids daily with varying degrees of delays and they are all wonderful. If you ever need any advice or support Angela and I are here to help you!

    -Nickea

    ReplyDelete
  2. You truly are going to be a great mother to this little boy. It seems like you can't rely on any information you receive and I would bet that most of his issues are a product of his environment, like you said, and the lack of plain and simple LOVE that he deserves so much. I wish I was still in KY because I would love to meet this little guy once you get him home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got nothing but hugs for you, sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you for embracing these challenges with a "YOU CAN'T BREAK ME" attitude. As long as your heart is breaking for that little guy, there is nothing that the agency can do to you (or lack thereof) that will be more painful. I believe with all of my heart that they only person with a true "condition" is the person trying to put a label on Nate. Listen to your heart, seek the Lord for guidance when you are unsure and remember.... Philippians 4:13 -

    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

    Love you bunches!! XOXOXO

    ~Stacy

    ReplyDelete