Friday, June 29, 2012

A Watched Pot

We have been waiting now for 64 days for the BIG letter (called Letter of Acceptance).  We are waiting to be officially matched with another sweet child.  We have been waiting, waiting, waiting.  We thought we'd have some really great news to share with the entire world this week.    However, now we're waiting for the "official" word from the powers that be before we make anything public.   Thus, we wait.  Again.  Do you see a trend going on here?  

Waiting has really never been my strong suit, so this sort of thing is my version of what hell must feel like.  (along with the strong scent of rubber and the agonizing sound of Irish bagpipes...ugh..that would make it hell for sure).  But, I digress....

So, what do I do when there's so much waiting to do?

I obsess about other things.   This past week, I've redone both girls bedrooms, organized closets that I forgot even existed, learned how to can my own green beans, discovered about 10 websites specifically dedicated to giving me new recipes for the 25 million zuchinni we have growing in our garden,  worked my tushie off trying to reach a major personal business goal,  taken time to paint little girls toenails, caught up with old friends, and generally spun around like a top until my head hits the pillow at night. 

You may call it busy,  others call it nesting.    I call it avoidance.  It's all I can do to keep from not biting every one of my nails down to the quick.  Honestly, there are some many days lately that I just want to have my life back to the way it was during pre-adoption.  

I've been wrestling with the Lord about patience and timing because that's what's eating at my core.    Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know, I know.  His timing, not mine.  I get it.   Easier said than done, folks.

So in the past couple of days, I've been asking Him to teach me how to have patience, because quite frankly, it's just not getting through my thick skull.    Today as I was canning my first few quarts of green beans, I had this GIGANTIC pot on the stove waiting to boil.  I couldn't put my jars of green beans in there until the water was at a rolling boil.   So, I stood there and waited.  And waited.  And waited even longer just STARING at that stupid pot.   Watching it more and more closely as if the more I stared at it, the quicker it would boil.  You know the old saying, "A watched pot never boils".     Yup.   That' was me today.

In the meantime, I had 4 loaves of zucchini bread in the oven.  The recipe specifically states to let it sit 20-30 minutes  to cool before trying to remove them from the pan.  But do you think I could wait that long?  Nooooo.  I tried my best to get those loaves out early and they crumbled into pieces.  I left one of them in there longer (until the time it was supposed to come out) and guess what?  I came out perfectly.  Hmmmm....

Moral of the story:   Sitting here obsessing/watching every little detail of this adoption process is not going to make it move (or boil) any faster. In addition, trying to get things done quicker than recommended to does not always lead to ideal results.


Psalm 27:13-14 "I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." 
  

Ok, Lord. I hear ya loud and clear.  I'll wait.   *sigh*

Lastly,  today I leave you with a couple of fun photos from our Pampered Chef family BBQ last week.  I've really been enjoying time with the girls home with me this summer.  Sort of savoring this precious time with them because I have a feeling that next summer we will all be busy chasing their little brother around!




1 comment:

  1. Super cute! And I think you are beginning to listen and learn the patience God is trying to teach you because you are going to need LOTS of it with the little WILD man ...boys are MUCH different, I keep warning you! You must just need a few more tests to make sure you are up for the challenge. HA! Hang in there, the wait is about over. Love ya!! XOXO <3

    ReplyDelete