Saturday, February 4, 2012

Obedience

"Oh, that's nice.  I'm happy for you."  *blank stare*

I'm experiencing that a lot lately.  I'm finding that folks are either completly supportive of bringing this boy home or lukewarm.     Looking back on it, I know truthfully that I was lukewarm many times when I heard of folks adopting, too.

First of all, let me go into a little more detail. Ya see, throughout most of the 37 years of my life, I said in a well-meaning tone  "Oh, God will provide".   Then, when it REALLY came down to it, I worried, fretted, and tried to take control of things myself.   I can't tell you how many times I thought I was being obedient to His calling, yet, I came up with some sort of good excuse to do my own thing instead    I had to rationalize everything.   I would say to myself :   "Well, I can't do it because I don't have the money (and there's surely no way God will provide that much!)"   or....  "I can't do it because I don't have the time, sanity, patience...whatever..it's nice, just not something for me. "   

No, I won't lie.  I have had doubts.  I've totally freaked out, actually.  I mean, how on earth can we afford international adoption?  I already have 2 precious daughters, why have  3rd child, especially one that will have some major issues?   What on earth are we getting ourselves into?  What if...why...how....huh???

Ok, people.  Here it is:  Quit making excuses.   Seriously.  For those of you who claim to be Christ-followers out there, why do you constantly keep doubting and keep rationalizing the disobedience to your calling?  Step out of the boat, folks.  No, it may not feel "warm and fuzzy".   It may even be down-right scary.   I'm not saying adoption is for everyone.  I'm just saying that this is CLEARLY God's calling for our family and I want to encourage everyone to truly trust in the Lord when He summons you to something. Even if it seems like it's coming from left field.   Actions speak louder than words.  It's time for us to LIVE our faith not just talk about it.  Let me share something with you:

#1 -We needed a certain amount for our deposit and first agency fee.  We refinanced our mortgage for a wayyyy lower interest rate and got a refund in escrow for the EXACT amount of that first fee.
#2-    We needed a certain amount for the home study and dossier fee.  Then we received an incredible and generous gift that covered that amount EXACTLY.

Coincidence?  I think not.


The Lord has some big plans for this child.  Check your temperature,  I hope you won't be lukewarm.

1 comment: